Saturday, May 26, 2012

The Perfect Picture

I have in my mind a picture that I'd love to take.


The sky is a bright blue and has big puffy clouds.  The scenery is a farmers field with gently rolling hills. The crop is just starting to grow and you can clearly see the rows of green crop and brown earth in the field where they hit you at just the right angle.  In the foreground is a dog.  While the scenery is gorgeous behind them, the dog is clearly the focus of the image - they are large enough that you can see the details of their expression, yet they aren't so big that they are blocking the beauty behind them.


I can't take this photo. I can't take anything even remotely resembling this photo.  Believe me I've tried.  I've "practiced" this shot many times in the field near the dog park.  It isn't quite ideal, but I thought if I could figure out how to get it, if the right opportunity ever presented itself, I could just duplicate the set up.


The dog is either too big or too insignificant.  The horizon is never right - I want lots of sky, but also lots of land. I can't seem to find that sweet spot.


 Sigh. At least we have fun trying and playing around.


And practicing finally got my wider angle lens back on the camera for a walk.




5 comments:

Jennifer said...

I'm by no means an expert (especially since the bulk of my picture taking is done on my phone) but the photos I've seen you share are magnificent, frame worthy. The photo you describes sounds amazing but I like the spontaneous shots, where you just point and click without any posing and such as you get the realness of the subject. Again, I'm no expert and I can definitely respect the knowledge and patience it takes to take the posed photos. :-)

K-Koira said...

I know just the shot you are thinking of. The closest I have ever come was with Koira in a grass field with melting snow and awesome blue sky- close, but not perfect.

Out of interest, what do you use as a wide angle lens?

Taryn said...

I'd say A LOT of your shots are pretty darn perfect!

Paws on the Run said...

Thanks guys. It isn't that I don't like my pictures, it is just frustrating to have an idea in my head that I can't make happen.

My widest lens is an 18-50 but it is on a crop sensor camera so it isn't quite as wide as it sounds.

Charlene and Storm said...

i think your photos are fab!!! i especially love the first and last photos. but we are always our most toughest critics arent we :) xxx